Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Path report

OK, just got the word that Charlie has preB cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. This type has the greatest cure rate, at 85%-90%. He is getting blood right now and will likely be in surgery tomorrow for a port, a lumbar puncture, and dose 1 of chemo. This is the next big step, requiring full sedation for the procedures. There is some concern because his spleen and liver are so full of damaged leukocytes and he is going to have to rid himself of all these dead cells. He will also start a course of high dose steroids and then there is the ever present fear of infection. He may not be a "boy in a bubble", but there will certainly be a severe limitation of activites. Pics to follow after a bit!

2 comments:

Jessica EW said...

Thanks for sharing the information. My heart goes out to Charlie and you all! He is lucky to have so many people that love him and are determined to see him through this scary time. Everyone I can reach is praying for him, and for strength for his mom and dad.

ginger said...

So happy to hear that Charlie had a good night after all he went thru yesterday....Matt, I love you miss you..and give Charlie a kiss for me....lots of healing prayers coming your way. I am holding him from afar...What a beautiful boy. I just know he'll kick this with flying colors! All my love, Ginger