Saturday, September 27, 2008

Matt's time

So after chemo on thursday Matt had to finish some work in Indianapolis. Friday found him back with his son, delighted to see the way Charlie perks up at seeing his dad! Even Carol commented his attitude. Carol is mom Lauren's mother. Charlie has been having exquisite headache(HA) pain, presumably due to the lumbar puncture. That is when they put the needle in the spine to administer intrathecal chemo.

Charlie continues to have an appetite, though it has become much more selective in nature. He prefers cheesy items like cheese pizza, grilled cheese and always, his favorite - apple juice! This does no favors for digestion, as he continues to be stopped up, but urinates three times the normal frequency. A normal response to the steroid drugs.

It is particularly distressing to see how accustumed he has become to throwing up - asking dad "where is my bucket?" He does his duty and goes on without a second thought. He is becoming aware of the meds coming his way and getting a bit cagey. Initially the steroid was put in his apple juice, but now has to be assimilated into other forms of intake.

As the day wore on the HA's did not subside. There was some concern with the doctor because sometimes after a lumbar puncture there can be alterations in the volume of the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), which can cause severe HA pain. Charlie was most happy maintaining a flat position even while eating. Nevertheless, Charlie was most pleased to step outside for a short bit and see that he had indeed brought the truck that goes "vroom vroom"! Unfortunately, Matt cannot spend overnights and had to leave. It breaks my heart that Matt has to spend this time away from Charlie. I can't even allow myself to think how this affects my nephew. So it is and so it will be. All will persevere and flourish. I take this opportunity to pass on the love of so many others as well as my own.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

All the love I have I give to you, Charlie and Matt!

I have just emailed my friend Tiffany, the Associate & currently the only Pastor at Metro Baptist Church in New York City (where I was organist & a member for the last 7 years).
(actually not the only pastor! There are several Ordained persons in the congregation - hopefully, all with Charlie on the mind!)

I have asked that Charlie and Matt stay on their Covenant of Concerns for the foreseeable future.
What a strong group of Faithful -
They are a huge chunk of prayerful folk that have already stepped into Charlie's corner!

Stay Strong!

karen/ryan moes said...

I can't even imagine what you all are going through! Ryan and my thoughts and prayers are with your whole family. Please let us know if we can help in anyway. The Gibson family is strong and will make it through this. Charlie, you are an inspiration to everyone no matter how young or old. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Still thinking about you guys everyday....sending so much love and constant prayers. You are all so unbelievably strong. Love you!!!
Mary & rest of Indy crew

P.S. Matt, sorry I haven't called you about your clothes yet...we did the laundry and your mom (I believe) took them all back...hope you've found them....let me know. :)

Unknown said...

Matt and Charlie,
We're praying for you and the rest of your family. I know how tough chemo is. When my niece had cancer it was a comfort knowing so many people were interceding on her behalf. We will continue to pray even after all the cancer is gone.
It was so nice to see you back at school the other day. I was wondering how you had been.
Oh Charlie, make sure you give your Dad an extra big hug when you see him alright? Stay strong, and love life!

D.Dz. said...

Dear Matt and family, I admire your strength. Thank you for keeping up the blog. I check it often & keep Charlie and you all in my thoughts and prayers. Love and hugs, D.Dz.